Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe on Tuesday announced 45 new positive cases of the coronavirus in Kenya, 29 of which are all from Nairobi’s Eastleigh Estate.
The 45 – which becomes the very highest number of infections announced by the ministry so far – were confirmed from 1077 samples tested within the last 24 hours, bringing the entire number to 535.
CS Kagwe, addressing the press at Afya House, said 30 of the 45 cases are males while the remaining 15 are females.
In a rather light moment during the briefing, he also made note of how some mischievous Kenyans have developed tricks for beating the government’s directive of limited time within the recently re-opened eateries.
One of the foremost popular, Kagwe said, is that of shopping for a sausage with two beers from restaurant to a different until they have had enough to drink.
Sausage moja na bia mbili:
How Kenyans are buying a sausage and with two beers from restaurant to another in order to beat government directive against crowding or staying too long in eateries. #COVID19 pic.twitter.com/Ez3nSZVJdU
— KTN News Alerts (@KTNNewsKE) May 5, 2020
The CS also stated that 11 of the new cases are from Mombasa while 5 are from Wajir, among whom one may be a Somali national.
CS Kagwe further noted that 9 more people were also discharged within the last 24 hours, taking the entire number of Covid-19 recoveries to 182.
He also urged Kenyans to desist from stigmatizing their fellow members of society who are suspected of contracting the disease or those that turn negative saying that they ought to instead empathize and feel for them.